WRI is looking for a candidate with a strong commitment to equity and sustainability, and a passion to improve urban life in India. S/he will provide in-depth technical support for project planning, project implementation, policy guidance, and capacity building in public transport systems. S/he will contribute to other fields including transit-oriented development, complete streets, and strategic mobility planning in India and South Asia. S/he will also develop technical reports, policy drafts, guidelines, and training modules. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated ability to work creatively with a diverse team. The position will also involve engaging with a diverse set of people—civic officials, politicians, civil society agents, media, project consultants, and others—to help build support for sustainable and equitable urban transport.
Qualification & Experience
- A master's degree in transportation/urban planning, or other relevant fields with at least 3-5 years of experience.
- Prior experience in transportation planning and working with urban local bodies, and other government institutions.
- Previous experience in the field of electrification, charging infrastructures is preferred.
- A sound understanding of contract management, fare systems, policies and fiscal regimes for public transport operations, especially electric mobility.
- Experience in drafting terms of reference documents for public transport operations, fare collection, IT systems, and other relevant areas.
- Excellent Excel, Access, Autocad and GIS software skills required.
- Excellent English and Tamil speaking and writing skills.
- Ability to work in intercultural teams.
- Expertise in climate change and pollution management would be an advantage.
- Experience with Emme or equivalent transport modelling software is definitely a bonus
About the organisation
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) works with cities worldwide to promote transport solutions that reduce traffic congestion, air pollution, and greenhouse emissions while improving urban livability and economic opportunity. ITDP is a not-for-profit organisation with its headquarters in New York City and field offices in India, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, China, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, and the United States.
The ITDP provides in-depth technical support to public agencies to implement sustainable transport initiatives and develop progressive state and national level policies and standards to scale up the sustainable transport paradigm. We also engage extensively with other stakeholders to promote sustainable and equitable transport ideas.