We are looking for an urban planner with a strong commitment to equity and sustainability, and a passion to improve urban life in India. They will provide in-depth technical support for project planning, project implementation, policy research, and capacity building in multiple fields, including complete streets, transit-oriented development, and strategic mobility planning in India. They will also develop technical reports, policy drafts, guidelines, and training modules. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated ability to work creatively with a diverse team. The position will also involve engaging with a diverse set of people—civic officials, politicians, civil society agents, media, and others—to help build support for sustainable and equitable urban transport. They will have a chance to hone their technical knowledge and research skills while gaining exposure to the fields of sustainable transport, city planning, urban design, and municipal governance.
The Associate’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Provide in depth technical support for project planning, project implementation, policy guidance, and capacity building in multiple fields.
- The main responsibilities will include government liaison, and primary and secondary research and analysis in the areas of sustainable urban transport.
- Create high-quality technical reports, policy drafts, guidelines, and training modules for the programmatic research/on-ground work.
- Work with programme teams to create high-quality publications and presentations
- Conceptualize & coordinate on-ground events, campaigns, and stakeholder discussions
- Build relationships and work closely with diverse stakeholders, including not limited to decision makers and city officials
- Develop and nurture relationships with external partners, civilian groups, focus groups, institutions, etc
- Carry out a significant amount of onsite work, including but not limited to site inspections, surveys, meetings, etc.
- The candidate must be able to work independently and coordinate with a larger team to generate the required deliverables from conceptual stages to final concept notes, reports, presentations, etc.
- Support the team to plan, organise, and conduct workshops for capacity building, focus group discussions, surveys, study tours, etc.
Skills and Qualifications
- A degree in urban planning, or other relevant fields, with 1-3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, GIS, Adobe Creative Suite, and MS Office is required.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and collaborate with teams.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Preference is given to those with prior experience in the urban development/transport sector.
- Fluent spoken Tami
About the organisation
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) works with cities worldwide to promote transport solutions that reduce traffic congestion, air pollution, and greenhouse emissions while improving urban livability and economic opportunity. ITDP is a not-for-profit organisation with its headquarters in New York City.
ITDP works in South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, India, China, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, and the United States. Since 2021, ITDP is represented in India by ITDP Pvt Ltd and works with governments, multilateral agencies, and civil society to make visible, on-the-ground improvements by providing technical expertise, policy solutions, research publications, and training programmes