CSTEP is seeking a skilled statistician with a strong passion for environmental impact to join our team. In this role, you will play a crucial part in our mission to achieve clean air for all through evidence-backed insights. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in statistical techniques, mathematical modelling, and policy analysis.
- Collect and organise air pollution data from diverse sources, including monitoring stations, and government websites.
- Ensure data integrity, quality, and completeness through data cleaning and pre-processing techniques.
- Identify trends, patterns, and correlations in data to develop a comprehensive understanding of air-pollution dynamics.
- Design, develop, and implement statistical models to support data-driven decision-making.
- Collaborate with analysts and managers to produce clear, compelling, and actionable insights that influence policy analysis.
- Create informative and engaging data visualisations, graphs, and maps for technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Work closely with environmental scientists, researchers, and policy experts to translate statistical findings into actionable recommendations for air-quality improvement.
- Utilise advanced statistical techniques and mathematical models to process and analyse complex environmental data.
- Contribute to research projects and publications in collaboration with the research team.
Master's in Statistics/Mathematics/Economics/Econometrics from a Tier-1 institution. 1-3 years of experience in a professional organisation conducting similar statistical analysis as described under responsibilities.
- Analytical skills: data exploration, generating different hypotheses, building and tuning models, and conducting correlation analysis.
- Mathematical skills: understanding the principles of statistics and other advanced topics in mathematics required for economic analyses.
- Ability to efficiently manage work in multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deliver within strict deadlines when needed.
- Hands-on experience in Excel, R, Python, and GIS tools, as well as the ability to learn and apply new tools, concepts, and techniques.
- Proficiency with data visualisation tools, such as Tableau, R Shiny, Power BI, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills would be a plus.
About the organisation
CSTEP is one of India’s leading think tanks, with a mission to enrich policymaking with innovative approaches using science and technology for a sustainable, secure and inclusive society. Our young and dynamic research team works in the areas of climate, environment, sustainability, energy, AI for social impact and new materials. Our research aims to leverage the power of technology through socially relevant and innovative ideas, to both understand and solve current and future developmental issues. Our vision is to be the foremost institution for policy analysis in India. CSTEP is recognised as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India. The Center is supported by the grants from domestic and international foundations, industry trusts and governments.