About your role:
The selected candidate will work with WRI India in supporting City governments to implement policies and projects focusing to enhance air quality in cities. The candidate will lead partnerships with cities and will work closely with City and State government officials and other stakeholders, support framing air quality strategies and enable implementation. In overall, will provide all the support required in enabling municipal action for improving air quality such as, monitoring systems, identification, and source attribution, emissions inventories, activity analysis, air pollution modeling, collect and analyze data for preparing action plans and sectoral action plans, identify sectoral partnerships, engage for citizen participation, prepare detailed project reports, support implementation, measure impacts, evaluate and communicate the learnings.
The candidate will actively undertake research and identify newer activities to further the understanding on air quality in Indian cities. Will prepare technical documents, presentations, data analysis tools, communicate in the public domain, engage with partners and other stakeholders to support the agenda for clean air. The candidate will be required to independently manage for results and take responsibilities to ensure deliverables of team members.
How your day will unfold:
The candidate will handle a range of program responsibilities. Some of the key responsibilities will include:
Program Development and Coordination
- Work closely with city government and stakeholders on a day-to-day basis to further municipal action to improve air quality.
- Develop analytical methods, conduct surveys, collect data, perform analysis, produce project reports and presentations.
- Collaborate and work with partners to build a robust ecosystem for air quality related conversation in the city by support forming interest groups, capacity building, conduct focused discussions and convenings.
- Work closely with the other teams in WRI India to identify opportunities for impactful research and support produce high quality publications.
- Support the team in program management, recruitment, mentor junior staff, contribute to proposals and development efforts on program fundraising goals.
Outreach and Communications
- Produce material to communicate WRI India’s Cities work in India and globally, including analytical content to non-technical audiences, media, and existing and prospective funders
- Attend and present work at national and international workshops, conferences, seminars as necessary
Research and Knowledge
- Identify research gaps, cultivate ideas and author or co-author knowledge products (e.g., reports, briefs, data-products) around air quality.
- Liaise with experts in India, global experts, and researchers towards high-quality research.
- Design and hold periodic seminars for capacity building and solicit input and feedback on the same.
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
- PhD, master’s degree in environmental sciences, Public Policy, Urban/ Environmental Planning, Economic Development, or a related discipline.
- Minimum 7 years of highly relevant, full-time work experience. International work/study experience will be valuable.
- Work experience in developing emissions inventories, activity analysis, source apportionment study, developing air quality action plans. Prior working with municipal corporation generating DPRs will be useful with program implementation and project management experience.
- Demonstrated exceptional ability (through published work, articles, etc.) to write and comprehend effectively.
- Strong analytical research skills -ability to communicate complex concepts clearly, both orally and in writing, with fluency in English.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities.
- Ability to understand and transfer skills and knowledge to a breadth of specialty areas.
- Ability to independently lead, design and draft research proposals and studies.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build a strong network of professional relationships.
- Comfort working with staff at all levels of experience.
- Willingness to travel whenever required in short notice.
Salary and Benefits: INR 15,00,000 to INR 18,00,000 CTC
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi, Mumbai, Other India Cities
Duration: 1 year (Extendable based on performance and project requirements)
About the organisation
WRI's mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. We organize our work around six critical goals that the world must achieve this decade in order to secure a sustainable future: Climate: Protect communities and natural ecosystems from damage caused by greenhouse gas emissions, and generate opportunities for people by catalyzing a global transition to a low-carbon economy. Energy: Drive the scale-up of clean, affordable power systems throughout the world to deliver sustainable socio-economic development. Food: Ensure the world’s food systems reduce their impact on the environment, drive economic opportunity, and sustainably feed 9.6 billion people by 2050. Forests: Alleviate poverty, enhance food security, conserve biodiversity, and mitigate climate change by reducing forest loss and restoring productivity to degraded, deforested lands. Water: Achieve a water-secure future by mapping, measuring, and mitigating global water risks. Cities and Transport: Improve quality of life in cities by developing and scaling environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable urban and transport solutions. We design solutions for and analyze these six critical goals through the lenses of our three Centers of Excellence which focus on Governance, Business and Finance.