A-PAG’s project in Delhi aims at improving air quality by tackling issues which contribute to air pollution. Based on our pilot work with the Municipal Corporation Delhi the project will now be rolled out in the city of Ghaziabad, Noida, Gurugram and Faridabad.
As a part of the city PMU, you will be responsible to ensure the successful implementation of our dispersed source program. To do this, you will work closely with the leadership and ground-level officers at the ULBs in the district you are hired for. Implementation of A-PAG’s dispersed sources program would be a priority; in addition to this, you would have the opportunity to devise and pilot new interventions which are scalable and target other sources of air pollution in the region.
The critical functions to manage your area successfully will include the following:
- Program Strategy and Implementation: Working with ULBs in your district, you would need to ensure all processes are put into place and all planned actions are carried out in a time-bound manner. This involves planning for an on-ground survey, creating route maps, ensuring IT systems are ready, etc.
- Stakeholder Management: You will be expected to build relationships with officials ranging from the operational levels of these organizations (Ex. Junior Engineers, Sanitary Inspectors) to the leadership (Ex. District Magistrate, Municipal Commissioners) and drive these engagements to ensure success. You will also support the ULBs in coordinating with each other. This is a key deliverable for ensuring the program’s success.
- Monitoring and Review: Putting in place a robust monitoring and review process will be a key priority. You will be responsible to ensure structured reviews are held in your area in order to make progress toward resolving the issues identified on the ground.
- Vendor Management: The project is supported by third parties at multiple levels. You will be responsible to guide and oversee the functioning of these third-party vendors. These include survey agencies, IT vendors, etc.
- Process Improvement: While engaging with officials across multiple organizations you would be in a key position with visibility to understand problem areas and develop insights and solutions for them. You would be expected to translate these insights into action in order to improve the processes undertaken throughout the program.
- Bachelor’s degree from a tier-1 institute with a strong track record of outstanding academic performance
- 2-4 years of work experience in a role with a client-facing component, project-based assignments, and substantial analytical requirements
- Have displayed instances of quick thinking and entrepreneurial nature in previous projects/ work assignment
- Work experience in the space of environment/solid waste management, program implementation or implementation of IT dashboards would be preferred but is not essential – however, passion to solve the air pollution crisis in India is critical
- Analytical bent of mind is key – you will need to think through problems and help the team arrive at an accurate assessment of the key issues to be addressed.
- Entrepreneurial nature – success in this role depends heavily on your ability to make things happen on the ground.
- Ability to work alongside senior Government officials, while being able to convince them to accept our recommendations.
- Program management skills are needed to ensure programs are delivered against agreed timelines with requisite quality.
- Ability to learn quickly – air pollution is a relatively nascent space and new knowledge is constantly emerging which we need to understand & utilize to our benefit.
About the organisation
Founded in 2019, A-PAG (also known as FIQL - Foundation for Improving the Quality of Life) is a non-profit philanthropic foundation working with the vision of improving air quality to meet basic sustenance levels in India. We are driven by our mission to increase citizen engagement for greater political salience thereby stimulating political will to act along with supporting the government’s implementation efforts by helping plug capacity gaps. We believe that air quality has numerous direct and indirect impacts on quality of life and living standards including but not limited to healthcare, cleanliness, etc. In order to achieve this, we partner with technological and social impact organizations to bring innovative solutions, as well as work with the government to drive systemic impact. We also collaborate with the ecosystem to leverage knowledge and create proven tools around critical issues.