Program Associate (Urban Resillence)
National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)
29 Aug 2022
31 Aug 2022
The Climate Centre for Cities (C-Cube) has been established at NIUA with support from the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) to create synergy across all climate actions which are being undertaken in Indian cities by various stakeholders. Our Vision “To Build Climate Action in Cities”. Urban development informed by climate resilience is important for not only steering the growth towards a 5 trillion economy but also improving the quality of life of urban residents. The centre plays a pivotal role in developing partnership networks, building the capacities of city managers and key decision-makers, co-creation of policy frameworks and strategies documents, designing tools, assessment frameworks, and data observatories, and developing solutions for planning and implementation of climate-resilient project interventions at cities and advocating for local actions.
The selected candidate is expected to be involved with various projects of the C-Cube, including leading and managing particular processes within the Centre. Particularly, supporting the work around urban resilience with a focus on research, policy and planning, and capacity building aimed at reducing future disaster risks and enhancing urban resilience. The candidate should be comfortable working in a dynamic, interdisciplinary environment and be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines. The ideal candidate should be providing cutting-edge and integrated solutions to India’s urban development challenges by bringing together expertise across diverse domains of knowledge and practice; exposing learners to real-life problems and integrating the practice into academics and research.
The Program Associate will coordinate and support the day-to-day activities including data collection and operational tasks. The responsibilities of the incumbent shall include, but will not be limited to:
- Drive the activities related to disaster resilience by collecting data, researching plans and policies and developing knowledge collaterals on time;
- Qualitative research pertaining to the thematic areas of the Climate Smart Cities Assessment Framework, particularly disaster resilience;
- Overall coordination for the collection and collation of primary and secondary data from different state and city government departments;
- Engage in dialogue with the city governments and other relevant stakeholders concerning urban development issues including smart cities and projects promoted to Data-Driven Governance;
- Support the internal team in reporting, monitoring and coordinating requirements of the project;
- Effective stakeholder management and coordination with ULBs, Parastatal Agencies, SPVs and other Partner Agencies;
- Creating a range of outputs (proposals, presentations, briefs) for the proposed programmes.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Post Graduate in (urban/regional) Planning/City Planning/Urban Policy/ Urban Development or equivalent Social Sciences (relevant to urban development) from a reputed institute.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience with an ability to demonstrate strong analytical skills and work across a range of relevant sectors.
- Knowledge in climate resilience in cities and disaster management experience is an added advantage. Knowledge and experience in green building, mobility or air quality will be preferred.
- Should also have experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams, good people management and facilitation skills, and significant competency in documentation and coordination.
- Preference will be given to candidates with work experience with City Administration / ULBs, State Government Department, and Smart City SPVs. Monitoring and Evaluation experience would be an added advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and to present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to convey complex analysis simply and clearly in a style and tone appropriately tailored to the audience.
- Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments showcasing strong teamwork and collaboration and adjust to a variety of complex and evolving tasks to meet deadlines.
- Experience with the organisation of meetings, workshops and conferences with a diverse range of participants would be an advantage.
About the organisation
The National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) is India’s leading national think tank on urban planning and development. As a hub for generation and dissemination of cutting-edge research in the urban sector, NIUA seeks to provide innovative solutions to address the challenges of a fast urbanising India, and pave the way for more inclusive and sustainable cities of the future.
NIUA was appointed as an apex body to support and guide the Government of India in its urban development plans. Since then, it has worked closely with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, alongside other government and civil sectors, to identify key areas of research, and address the lacunae in urban policy and planning. With a team spanning planners, engineers, researchers, architects and analysts, the Institute provides cross disciplinary expertise and technical assistance for city and state-level projects, as well as developing toolkits and customised training programmes to strengthen the capacity of local and regional, and governing agencies. In its aims of enriching and expanding urban knowledge bases within the country, its work today addresses 6 major thematic concerns:
- Urbanization & Economic Growth
- Urban Governance (Digital) & Municipal Finance
- Urban Infrastructure & Built Environment
- Environment, Climate Change & Resilience
- Social Development (Inclusive and sustainable cities)
The skills, resources and deep-rooted knowledge NIUA has accumulated over the years in the urban sector also make it the first port of call for international donors and funding institutions seeking to develop meaningful partnerships in the country. Whilst helping bolster India’s urban narrative at the global level, NIUA is also committed to aligning its efforts in accord with the UN Sustainable Development Goals, ensuring that global targets are achieved through locally adapted and integrated urban frameworks.